How do you freeze an avocado?
Avocados are so hard to figure out, amirite?! It feels like they take weeks to ripen but then stay ripe for mere seconds before they take a turn for the worse. There's nothing more disappointing than being excited for a delicious, ripe avocado, only to find that you waited just a bit too long and now you're left with avocado flesh covered in brown spots. #beenthere
While there seems to be countless opinions on how to tell if an avocado is ripe (look it up!), we can tell you how to preserve a perfectly ripe avocado once you have one (or many):
- Cut avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Cut halves into quarters and remove the peel from each quarter.
- Place quarters on a baking sheet or tray in a single layer, making sure the edges of the avocado pieces don't touch.
- Place baking sheet with avocado quarters in the freezer for a few hours (this is called flash freezing).
- Remove baking sheet from the freezer and transfer frozen avocado quarters to an airtight, freezer-safe container, then place this container in the freezer.
For those visual learners, we made a video tutorial on How to Cut an Avocado.